E & TC Blog
How to Calculate Value of Resistor by Color Code
The resistor value can be calculated in many ways i.e by multimeter or color code or by LCR meter. Under the subject Basic Electronics and Mechtronics for Mechanical Engg Diploma college in Pimpri Chinchwad.
To calculate resistor value by color code in four band resistor , first band represents first digit. Second band represents second digit and third band multiplier and last band tolerance.
- The first band will be closest to the lead.
- There is a space between the color band and tolerance band .
- Tolerance band indicates that the value of resistor can be more or less than the specified value.
- Use following mnemonic to remember color code sequence.
- “B. B. ROY of Great Britain had a Very Good Wife who wore Gold and Silver Necklace ”.
Fig: Sample Color code Resistor
In the above resistor
First Band is RED(2)
Band is VIOLET(7)
Third Band is BROWN(101)
Fourth Band is Gold(± 5%)
R= 27×101ÇOhm ±5%
Fig: Color Code table
Sarojini V. Naik
(E & TC Department)
(Pimpri Chinchwad Polytechnic)